Applying Big Pictures to Big Problems
We’re a volunteer-led social action think tank formed from the belief that the world’s largest problems and most difficult questions are not considered with the Big Picture complexity needed to see their transformational potential.
A learning organisation
A Social Action Community
We’re focused on catalyzing experimental social action. Our goal is to enable scholars, funders, leaders, analysts, entrepreneurs and others to apply Integrative Metatheories to discover the promising evolutionary acupuncture points—“Transformational Fulcrums”—inside any wicked context, problem or issue.
Our process is simple:
Ask any question about an important problem, issue or context
Organize small teams of scholars and experts to map the context of that question using integrative metatheory
Identify the possible high-leverage Transformational Fulcrums in the context, and conceptualize into small, social action-learning experiments
Invite others to help us build, extend or scale successful hypotheses
More inclusive philosophy
Integrative Epistemology Platform
IAM is licensing the world’s first software platform for integrative epistemology, which has been in design since 2020 to conceptualize dozens of sensemaking paradigms in a single, socially-reflexive analytical workspace. Though it will take time for the full vision to be realized, it fuels our vision of a movement engaged in meta-practical social action.
- IAM teams are its alpha users, helping the platform evolve
- To get involved, consider applying to join the movement
Transformational social action
We convene initiatives that might play a small but important role in furthering integral movements, personal liberation, social emancipation or human flourishing. They can be teams we’ve convened to map specific contexts for transformational insight or even first-run innovations we’ve seen as blindspots in conventional incubation efforts. Whatever your passion and capability—scholarship, funding, entrepreneurship—we invite you to become involved.
The Integral Social Sector Initiative
The Integral Social Sector Initiative is designed to draw together leaders in the integral and social impact fields to explore how integral metatheory might help…
Encyclopedia of Integrative Metatheories
Taking the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy as inspiration, the Encyclopedia of Integrative Metatheories will be a free online resource that defines the relevant terms and…
Integrative Policing Transformation Initiative (Phase 1)
An Integrative Model of Policing Transformation is an Initiative designed to map the fuller complexity of policing in the United States and examine how a…
Big pictures to get above complexity
A Primer on Metatheories
1. What most people think of as science is what metatheorists call “middle-range” theory. A theory of gravitation, or political preferences, or international trade deficits, are all theories that start with real-world phenomena as their “data”. A theory then tries to create an explanatory model for why reality gives us that data.
2. Metatheory sits “above” theory. Where theory takes real-world phenomena as its “data”, metatheory takes the theories themselves as its “data”, helping to provide a bigger, more coherent picture of a given knowledge domain.
3. Integrative Metatheories take that even further, attempting to synthesize the highest-order Big Pictures that might organize all theories, from all domains, and thereby simplify (but not reduce) the complexity into knowledge that’s more usable but better matched to the real complexity of the 21st century.
4. IAM is a social action think tank conceptualizing the Integrative Metatheories into an integrative epistemology platform that can help subject-matter experts and financial stakeholders identify potential transformational fulcrums inside any wicked context in order to suggest potentially high-leverage social transformation experiments.
The Institute of Applied Metatheory is an international volunteer-led social action think tank for the education and application of leading-edge integrative metatheories. We provide scholars, practitioners and organizations with the resources and support they need to advance integrative metatheory and apply it to promising evolutionary leverage points to promote human flourishing in the 21st century.
May 25, 2023 IAM, Q2 Update
February 26, 2023 The Institute of Applied Metatheory: At the Edge, Dancing with Life
January 10, 2023 Announcing The Institute of Applied Metatheory
January 7, 2023 2023: Stage 3 of the Integral Movement Begins